ANVIL's "Juggernaut Of Justice" took the number one spot in WJCU's "Metal On Metal" Top 25 year-end album countdown show, which aired live on January 6. ANTHRAX's "Worship Music" finished a close second.
"It feels like my hometown team just won the Super Bowl!" says "Metal On Metal" host Bill Peters, who named his show in 1982 after ANVIL's landmark album released the same year. "My listeners could not have given me a better gift to start off my 30th year of broadcasting. 'Juggernaut Of Justice' is ANVIL's best studio album since "Forged In Fire". I'm glad my listeners felt the same by voting it number one this year."
ANVIL has had a longtime special connection with the Cleveland metal fans. The band has played Cleveland more times in their career than any other U.S. city. One of their biggest Cleveland shows was a headlining performance at Peters' "Metal On Metal" 25th anniversary concert in 2007 at the Beachland Ballroom.
"To Bill and every one of his listeners, I'd like to thank you with all my heart!" says ANVIL vocalist/guitarist Steve "Lips" Kudlow. "We hoped so much that people would love the 'Juggernaut Of Justice' album and it's such an honor and privilege to have been voted No. 1 by the fans. So it's not just about a movie, people have embraced our new music, too. This is a celebration of complete fulfillment. FUCKEN EH!"
"Great news!" adds ANVIL drummer Robb Reiner. "I love Cleveland, great music town, along with the years of faithful support from Bill Peters for keeping the majesty of ANVIL's music alive for all to discover and enjoy. Thank you, rockers!"
This was the 28th year of the poll, which is an annual tradition with metal fans in Cleveland and one of "Metal On Metal"'s most popular programs. Listeners were asked to nominate their top three albums of 2011. 1,089 votes were received.
"We had another great listener response to both the poll and broadcast", says Peters. "So many people were tuned in online that we maxed out the server!"
The show has garnished the attention of not only fans but musicians as well. Wolf Hoffmann from ACCEPT, Dave Mustaine from MEGADETH and Chuck Billy from TESTAMENT all have acknowledged recent past album victories by publicly thanking their fans from Cleveland.
WJCU's "Metal On Metal" can be heard every Friday night from 6:30 p.m to 9:30 p.m. EST on 88.7 FM in the Cleveland, Ohio area or streamed worldwide at www.wjcu.org.
"Metal On Metal"'s top albums of 2011:
01. ANVIL - "Juggernaut of Justice" (The End)
02. ANTHRAX - "Worship Music" (Megaforce)
03. SAXON - "Call To Arms" (UDR)
04. JAG PANZER - "The Scourge Of The Light" (SPV/Steamhammer)
05. MEGADETH - "Th1rt3en" (Roadrunner)
06. LAKE OF TEARS - "Illwill" (AFM)
07. SYMPHONY X - "Iconoclast" (Nuclear Blast)
08. GHOST - "Opus Eponymous" (Metal Blade)
09. AMON AMARTH - "Surtur Rising" (Metal Blade)
10. ARCH/MATHEOS - "Sympathetic Resonance" (Metal Blade)
11. MACHINE HEAD - "Unto The Locust" (Roadrunner)
12. DREAM THEATER - "Dramatic Turn Of Events" (Roadrunner)
13. ICED EARTH - "Dystopia" (Century Media)
14. WARBRINGER - "Worlds Torn Asounder" (Century Media)
15. RIOT - "Immortal Soul" (SPV/Steamhammer)
16. VENOM - "Fallen Angels" (Spinefarm/Universal)
17. JACK STARR'S BURNING STARR - "Land Of The Dead" (LMP)
18. ALESTORM - "Back Through Time" (Napalm)
19. BULLET - "Highway Pirates" (Black Lodge)
20. CROWBAR - "Sever The Wicked Hand" (eOne)
21. GRAVEYARD - "Hisingen Blues" (Nuclear Blast)
22. REDEMPTION - "This Mortal Coil" (InsideOut)
23. ORCHID - "Capricorn" (Church Within)
24. H.A.T.E. - "Inject The Infection" (Auburn)
25. HAVOK - "Time Is Up" (Candlelight)
ANVIL with Bill Peters in Cleveland 2011 (photo by Joe Kleon)